Search This Blog

Sunday, November 23, 2008

I thought I was having fun.....


So the other day Jason said something along the lines of, "now you're a brunette". I have to say, it took me off guard. How dare he??? I'm a blonde, dang it! Then, I saw this picture of myself a day later and realized, he was right. My friend Micah recently told me that my long blonde hair was my "signature". I've lost my haircolor and my signature? Are you kidding me?
It all started about six years ago when I first got married and we were both in grad school. We were so broke, buying groceries was a luxury, so things like salons/haircolor were out the window. So, after years of my dad telling me to go natural, I did. I liked it. My hair felt healthy and "real"for the first time in ten years. No more "roots" showing (as my mom liked to nag me about).

Growing up, I idealized the beauty of blondes. Weren't they always the "beautiful women" in videos and movies (i.e., Christie Brinkley and the chick from the "cherry pie" video). I had thought that was the epitome of beauty.

Now, I'm on the other side of the color spectrum trying to digest this new role for myself. Brunette. I guess it's better than "dirty blonde" or "dishwater blonde" (I always hated those terms! Um..GROSS). Does this mean I can now tell blonde jokes with no guilt? So, now I guess I need to look to Kelly Kapowski and the chic from "weird science" (Hey, who doesn't think of the 80's for beauty icons?). They were brunette and beautiful!

I seriously thought about dying my hair blonde again, but once again groceries are luxury (due to Ms. Kya and with me staying home), so I swallow my pride and accept the color God's graced me with. Gentleman may prefer blondes and blondes may have more fun, but.....okay I'm still trying to figure that out.

5 comments:

Kathy said...

The beauty of living in this day and age is that you can change your hair color whenever you feel like it, and to as many different colors as you like, and no one thinks a thing about it.

Unlike some of the rest of us, however, you've been blessed with beautifully long, thick hair, so I hope you'll be happy with it no matter WHAT color it is.

Oh, by the way: In spite of Carrie Bradshaw's making a fashion statement of her dark roots, I think it has a tendency to make a girl look like a two-dollar hooker. So even now, I'd probably nag you about it. That's one of the ways mommas show their love, you know. ;-)

Tawny and Kya said...

I know mamma! Teehee!!!!
I would never dare leave the house with roots showing, wrinkled clothes, or any undergarments hanging out. Thank you for teaching me how to be a lady~ :)

Cowan Clan said...

Call me crazy, but I always thought you were blonde and still would consider you so. Now, true, I do need glasses but my vision isn't THAT bad. So here you go, but completely guilt-free :)

Two blondes lock their keys in the car. One of the blondes tries to break into the car while the the other one watches.

Finally the first blonde says "Darn, I can't get in the car!" The other blonde replies, "keep trying, it looks like it is going to rain and the top is down".

Kathy said...

You're welcome!

leah said...

I was just asking Andrew last night how I would look as a blonde, to which he replied, "Weird." I had to agree... of course, my hair is much much darker than yours. I think brunettes are lovely, if I can say so myself. What matters is that your hair looks HEALTHY and that you take care of it, no matter what color it is. Funny though, i will probably always consider you a blonde as well... that's just how I picture you.